Wednesday, June 6, 2012

"Hunger Games Hangover" Book Challenge

This summer I'm taking the "Hunger Games Hangover" book challenge.
*FYI I have, am and will always be a book worm...and I read the Hunger Games wayyyyy before the bandwagon came rolling into town (but who cares if you jump on it right?), you can even ask James when I said, "It would be cool if they did a movie on this". However, I'm still half & half about books turned into movies. Most of the time movies end up killing it for the movie goer who didn't even read the book prior to watching. ANYWAYS....a friend of mine mentioned the list above, and since the end of May, I've finished two and am almost ending a third. 

I loooooove reading. Anything & everything. 
Sometimes I read a book just to form my own opinion about it. And even if I'm bored halfway, I'll still finish it, just to finish it, but then I'll appreciate the storyline anyways. It's hard to explain. I'm book weird.

If you ever go to the Kahuku Public Library, there's a "Classics" shelf in the Young Adult section. You know, the books your English teachers pick and force you to read at every grade level, like The Great Gatsby and The Good Earth. Anyways, I challenged myself to read that entire classics shelf one of my years in high school. I enjoyed it so much (Yes I did! Loved Les Miserables! And excited about the upcoming movie remake) that I would check out almost four novels at one time and take turns reading them every other night. hahaha. And so when the books were assigned to us to read in English, I was already one step ahead of my class & was able to procrastinate a lot of my hw/ or even turn hw in early because of already reading the book.

Aside from classics, high school was where I was introduced to 'dystopian literature' when an English teacher of mine suggested I read, The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood. A really BIG must read. It'll get your mind thinking, and is probably why I fell in love with the Hunger Games series and now the Divergent/Insurgent series (thx Leise).
I also came across another suggested dystopian book list, with some series also mentioned in the first picture above. However, this blogger actually read all the books she suggests and reviews them. I'm actually a little more interested in her list and other suggestions on her blog. CLICK HERE!
That'll be what I'm doing this summer, well actually in that direction but I'm always looking for good reads at Barnes & Nobles since I've become an official member! lol. And Mahie too in the children's book club. Let me know what other reads you've found. I also finally finished "Little Bee" by Chris Cleave, suggested by my sister-in-law Rose.

Time to get reading & fall asleep for work tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Oooooh, I SO want to read that! And you are SO COOL reading all the classics lol, a girl of my own nerdy heart.

    ReplyDelete